Thursday, June 15, 2017
For people living in places where there is limited infrastructure, safe water can be a matter of life or death. Especially for children under five. Two effective methods to prevent from falling sick or even dying from water born such as cholera and soil-transmitted diseases are to maintain good hygiene practice and use point of use water treatment.
Cholera is still a threat in Haiti. Children are the most vulnerable to this life-threatening disease, luckily cholera can easily be stopped with clean water and improved hygiene at home. The United Nations, (UN) is now intensifying their efforts to eliminate cholera by providing material assistance to people in need. The new UN approach to cholera in Haiti can be found here.
This is our contribution to the UN effort:
- Solvatten given to children living at orphanages.
- Solvatten given to the staff members of the orphanages (most are former beneficiaries of the program who went through the orphanage system) and their families.
- Solvatten given to a primary school who work with the orphanages disabled children.
- Solvatten given to a clinic to be distributed over time to patients, based on need.
- Solvatten given for newborn nutrition program at the orphanage (to be distributed over time to mothers, based on need).
Thanks to the support of Axfood, Sveriges Bryggerier, HSB Södermanland Wine World, NP3 fastigheter, Västerås rotaryklubb, Energiforsk AB, Thirdbase AB, Kommunalförbundet Norrvatten, GANT AB, Kalmar Soroptimistklubb, Swea Wien, Torssenssons Art, Kairos Future, Sveriges Ingengörer and Veidekke.