Need for clean, hot and cold water
story Thursday, January 17, 2019
A lot of people have absolutely minimal access to energy, with high dependence on traditional biomass for cooking and no access to the electrical grid nor to piped water at home. If solar energy is provided it is for some lightning and charging mobiles. Providing access to low energy is good, but it is not enough energy to use for stoves, for water-heaters, fridges or the basic household equipments. This is largely unexplored territory for NGO’s working in the water sector. So we wanted to know what people use energy and water at home. So we asked them.
The list of usage is long
- I use water for cooking food
- I use energy and water to prepare tea or coffe
- To make water safe
- To rinse food and vegetables
- To prepare juice
- To heat water for bathing
- Caring for my baby
- Caring for my sick and disabled relative
- Hand wash
- Face wash
- Hair wash
- A business owner said: “I am a hairdresser and I need hot water for shampooing, rinsing my customers hair and have high expenditures for charcoal heating the water)
- Personal hygiene/ menstrual hygiene
- Washing up menstrual pads and menstrual cup
- Making the dishes
- Preparing formula
- Washing the udder of my cows before milking and the milk last longer
- Picking the feathers from my chicks
- For washing and cleaning and othe domestic use
These answers tells us that small solar water heaters are deeply needed. Using the sunshine is a free and available to all but tools to collect the energy is needed. There are Solar water heaters on the market but they need to be connected to the water-pipes and to electricity if a pumpsystem is needed, and the water is not safe to consume for drinking.
Solvatten can save a lot of energy by saving fuel. Used as preheated water to reduce time and fuel for “cooking food” or cooking water to make it safe (or hot for many purposes). As well as reducing risk when collecting fuelwood, less indoor air pollution, less trees cut down, less CO2 released, more time but most important better health.
Many comments we have from the NGO`s is- “but in this part of the world where it is a lot of sunshine, people do not need to prepare hot water it is just naturally warm”.
My comment: But starting with dirty water from a contaminated river or a well, the rise of the water temperature reaching 35-40-45°C the water is much more contaminated than from start, the growth of microorganisms has an explosive growth at these temperatures.